Thursday, April 20, 2023

Like a Hand in a Glove

 

Like a Hand in a Glove

Like a Hand in a Glove - Audio/Visual 

“Those who trust God's action in them find that God's Spirit is in them – living and breathing God! But if God himself has taken up residence in your life, you can hardly be thinking more of yourself than of him. Anyone, of course, who has not welcomed this invisible but clearly present God, the Spirit of Christ, won't know what we're talking about. But for you who welcome him, in whom he dwells – even though you still experience all the limitations of sin – you yourself experience life on God's terms.”
(Rom. 8:5, 9-10)

I was so proud of the new work gloves I’d just purchased. My old set was worn and had holes – completely defenseless from the bite that yard work can take out of your hands. So, I went to the local hardware store and shopped until I found just the right pair. I must have examined half a dozen; probably tried on just as many. After all, what good are gloves if you don't like them, and they don't fit? And then I found them – with the help of the clerk who did me a favor. She reached under the counter and produced a set still in its packaging. “Just what I was looking for,” I thought. And at that, I cheerfully paid the purchase price, walked out the door and drove the short ride home to test them out.

So, there I was – standing in my yard with my brand-new gloves like a kid in the outfield with his brand-new mitt. I plunged my hands into the smooth, leather-grained cowhide and . . . nothing. My hands stopped mid-way into the gloves. Seems I couldn’t get my fingers into the fingers. The five entryways were all stitched closed. Mistake at the factory? Probably. Oversight of the store? Perhaps – maybe that’s why the clerk found them under the counter. Who knows? But one thing was certain: my fingers wouldn’t fill the glove. A closed fist could, but an extended hand wouldn’t. “No problem,” I thought, “I’ll just make do” because who has the time to go back to the hardware store to return work gloves when there’s lots of work to be done?

So, I fisted my way into the palm and parked it there, my fingers folded, the glove fingers flopping in the wind. Not exactly what I had in mind, but, hey, when it comes to looks and utility, I couldn’t complain because my fingers were safe. Rose thorns were no longer a threat. Function, however, was a bit of a problem. Have you ever tried to pick up a shovel with your fingers folded inside a glove? It’s not easy. Neither is mowing the lawn or trimming the roses. Your hands feel like horses hoofs. And forget grabbing some shears, or those little plastic whips you use for the weed-whacker. Simply put, I had things to do. I wanted extended fingers, stretched and strong, because I had a lawn to mow, edges to trim and weeds to pull. The same is  true for God; he’s got things to do, too.

Babies need hugs. Children need good-night tucks in bed. AIDS orphans need homes. Stressed-out executives need hope. God has work to do, and he uses our hands to do it. What the hand is to the glove, the Spirit is to the Christian. "Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come into him." (Rev. 3:20) God gets into us. At times, imperceptibly. Other times, disruptively. God gets his fingers into our lives, inch by inch, reclaiming the territory that is rightfully his own.

Take your tongue, for example. He claims it for his message. And your feet? He requisitions them for his purpose. Your mind? He made it and intends to use it for his glory. And what about your eyes, face and hands? Through them he will weep, smile and touch. As a glove responds to the strength of the hand, so you will respond to the leading of Christ to the point where, like the Apostle Paul, you can eventually say, "I myself no longer live, but Christ lives in me." (Gal. 2:20) But the process isn’t always immediate; sometimes it takes a while.

Receiving the unseen is not easy. Most Christians find the cross of Christ easier to accept than the Spirit of Christ. Good Friday makes a whole lot more sense than Pentecost. Christ, our substitute; Jesus taking our place; the Savior paying for our sins. These are astounding, yet embraceable concepts. They fall in the area of transaction and substitution – familiar territory for most of us. But Holy Spirit discussions lead us into the realm of the supernatural and the unseen, subjects about which we quickly grow quiet and cautious, fearing what we can't see or explain.

So, try considering the Spirit's work from a different angle. Think about what Jesus did in Galilee as being similar to what the Holy Spirit does in us. Jesus lived among the people, teaching, comforting and convicting. The Holy Spirit lives within us, teaching, comforting and convicting. The New Testament word for this promise is oikeo, which means to "live, or dwell." And Oikeo comes from the Greek noun oikos, which means "house." In other words, the Holy Spirit indwells the believer in the same way a homeowner indwells a house. “Those who trust God's action in them find that God's Spirit is in them – living and breathing God! But if God himself has taken up residence in your life, you can hardly be thinking more of yourself than of him. Anyone, of course, who has not welcomed this invisible but clearly present God, the Spirit of Christ, won't know what we're talking about. But for you who welcome him, in whom he dwells – even though you still experience all the limitations of sin – you yourself experience life on God's terms.” (Rom. 8:5, 9-10)

Did you see the phrases of permanence in that passage? “God's Spirit is in them;” “God himself has taken up residence in your life;” and you are the person “in whom he dwells.” To Timothy, Paul urged, "You have been trusted with a wonderful treasure. Guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit, who lives within you." (2 Tim. 1:14) And later on, could the apostle's words have been any clearer than when he said, "Don't you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?" (1 Cor. 3:16) All believers have God in their heart. But not all believers have given their whole heart to God. Remember, the question is not, “How can I have more of the Spirit?” but rather, “How can the Spirit have more of me?” A palm and a few fingers just won’t do.

So, take an inventory. As you look around your life, do you see any resistant pockets? Any stitched-up fingers? Go down the list. Your tongue, for example. Do you stretch the truth? Puff up the facts? How about your language? Is your speech a sewer of profanities and foul talk? And grudges? Do you harbor resentments like boats at the dock? And while we’re at it, are you unproductive and lazy? Do you live off the system, assuming that the church or the country should take care of you? Sorry if you find these questions a little offensive, but those aren’t my words, they’re Paul’s – he wrote the checklist.

“So put away all falsehood and tell your neighbor the truth because we belong to each other. And don't sin by letting anger gain control over you. Don't let the sun go down while you are still angry, for anger gives a mighty foothold to the Devil. If you are a thief, stop stealing. Begin using your hands for honest work, and then give generously to others in need. Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them. And do not bring sorrow to God's Holy Spirit by the way you live. Remember, he is the one who has identified you as his own, guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words and slander, as well as all types of malicious behavior.”
(Eph. 4:25-31)

Do your actions interrupt the flow of the Spirit in your life? Harbored sin interferes with Spirit circulation. Confessed sin, however, repairs the heart and restores the power. But it could take time, so don't give up. Don't let stumbles stop you. Come and keep coming. Ask and keep asking. "Your heavenly Father [will] give the Holy Spirit to those who ask and continue to ask him!" (Luke 11:13) It reminds me of a fly I encountered in an airplane one time. On a flight some time ago, a fly was buzzing around the cabin. “That’s odd,” I thought. “A fly flying inside a flying plane. Why would a fly fly during a flight? Does he think he’s helping the plane? Doing his part to keep the aircraft aloft?” Why did the fly in the plane fly in the plane? Why didn’t the fly just light for a moment and enjoy the flight? Maybe he thought the airplane needed him. And just like that, he flew to the front of the plane.

Moments later, however, he returned, this time looking far less confident than before. Fear flickered in his tiny, bug eyes. "I don't think I can keep it up,” he said. "Keep what up?" I said. "The plane! I don't think I can keep the plane up. I'm flying as furiously as I can. But my wings are getting tired. I don't know how long I can do this." “But don't you know it's not up to you? Look! You’re surrounded by strength and we’re airborne by a power that isn’t your own. So, stop flying. It's not up to you to get this plane home." Insulted, he buzzed off. Granted, I don’t make a habit of speaking to flies, although I have had a few choice words for them. But we all fly furiously back and forth, ever busy, always thinking that the success of this journey is up to us. And we fear letting up, don’t we? Well then, stop for a moment and look out the window. God's wings sustain you. His engines empower you. You can flap like a fly and not accelerate the flight. It's your job to rest and receive.

Accept his power. You be the glove and let him get his hand deep down into your life. Surrender to his plan. And then keep at it. Unceasingly seek God's Spirit. Accept. Surrender. Keep at it. “A-S-K.” Ask. Seek. Knock. A-S-K. "Your Heavenly Father will give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" (Luke 11:13) So, let God put his Spirit deep into the fingers of the glove that’s your life. Then you’ll truly be able to experience the hand-in-glove relationship that he died to give you.

Grace,

Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment