Friday, August 10, 2018

Humility


Humility

Then Jesus told this story to some who had great confidence in their own righteousness and scorned everyone else: “Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a despised tax collector. The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayer: ‘I thank you, God, that I am not like other people — cheaters, sinners, adulterers. I’m certainly not like that tax collector! I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income.’ “But the tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow, saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.’ I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.” (Luke 18:9-14)

Humility is such an elusive virtue. Once you think you have it, you don't, or you wouldn't think you did in the first place. The truth is God doesn't just dislike arrogance. He doesn't just disapprove of arrogance. He's not just unfavorably disposed toward arrogance. God hates arrogance. "The Lord despises pride.” (Prov. 16:5) Or put more bluntly, "I hate pride and arrogance." (Prov. 8:13) God says, "Do nothing out of . . . vain conceit," (Phil. 2:3) and "Do not let arrogance come out of your mouth." (1 Sam. 2:3) In the same way that he gives grace to the humble, "God opposes the proud." (1 Pet. 5:5) As humility goes before honor, "pride goes . . . before a fall." (Prov. 16:18) Have you ever wondered why some churches are powerful in one generation but empty the next? Maybe the answer’s found in Proverbs 15:25: "The Lord will tear down the house of the proud." God hates arrogance.

He hates arrogance because we haven't done anything to be arrogant about. For instance, do art critics give awards to the canvas upon which the artist paints? Is there a Pulitzer Prize for the ink used by the author of the award-winning story, or report? Can you imagine a scalpel in the hands of a surgeon growing smug after a successful heart transplant? No. They’re only tools, so they get no credit for these accomplishments. As the 23rd Psalm reassures, we have rest, salvation, blessings and a home in heaven, but we did nothing to earn any of it. God did, and threaded through the psalm, like a silk thread through pearls, David declares that "He makes me . . ." "He leads me . . ." "He restores my soul . . ." "You are with me . . ." "Your rod and Your staff . . . comfort me . . ." "You prepare a table . . ." "You anoint my head . . ." We may be the canvas, the paper or the scalpel, but we aren’t the ones who deserve the applause. And just to make sure we get the point, smack-dab in the middle of the poem David declares who does: the Shepherd leads his sheep, not for our names' sake, but "for His name's sake."

Why does God have anything to do with us? For his name's sake. There’s no other name on the marquee. No other name up in lights. No other name on the front page. It’s all done for God's glory. But why? Does God have an ego problem? No, but we do. God takes the credit; not because he needs it, but because he knows we can't handle it. We’re generally not content with just a bite of adulation; we tend to swallow it whole. It messes with our systems. The praise swells our heads and shrinks our brains. Pretty soon we start thinking we had something to do with our own survival. And not long after we forget we are made out of dirt, and have been rescued from sin.

Pretty soon we start praying like the fellow at the religious convention: "God, I thank you that the world has people like me. The man on the corner needs welfare – I don’t. The prostitute on the street has AIDS – I don’t. The drunk at the bar needs alcohol – I don’t. The homeless need morality – I don’t. I thank you that the world has people like me." Fortunately, there was a man at the same meeting who had deflected all the applause. Too contrite to even look to the skies, he bowed his head and prayed, "God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Like my brother on welfare, I'm dependent on your grace. Like my sister with AIDS, I'm infected with mistakes. Like my friend who drinks, I need something to ease my pain. And as you love and give direction to the homeless, grant some to me as well. Have mercy on me, a sinner." After telling a story like that, Jesus told his audience, "I tell you, when this man went home, he was right with God, but the Pharisee was not. All who make themselves great will be made humble, but all who make themselves humble will be made great." (Luke 18:14)

But with the same intensity that God hates arrogance, he also loves humility. The Jesus who said, "I am gentle and humble in heart," (Matt. 11:29) is the same Jesus who loves those who are gentle and humble in heart. "Though the Lord is supreme, he takes care of those who are humble." (Ps. 138:6) God says, "I live with people who are . . . humble." (Isa. 57:15) He also says, "To this one I will look, to him who is humble and contrite." (Isa. 66:2) And to the humble, God gives great treasures. For instance, he gives honor – “Humility goes before honor." (Prov. 15:33) He gives wisdom – “With the humble is wisdom." (Prov. 11:2) He gives direction – “He teaches the humble His way." (Ps. 25:9) And most significantly, he gives grace – “God . . . gives grace to the humble." (1 Pet. 5:5). And then he gives us this blessed assurance – “He crowns the humble with salvation." (Ps. 149:4)

The mightiest of the saints were known for their humility. Though Moses had served as prince of Egypt and emancipator of the slaves, the Bible says, "Moses was . . . more humble than anyone else." (Num. 12:3) The apostle Paul was saved through a personal visit from Jesus. He was carried into the heavens, and had the ability to raise the dead. But when he introduced himself, he mentioned none of these accomplishments. He simply said, "I, Paul, am God's slave." (Titus 1:1) John the Baptist was Jesus’ cousin and the first evangelist in history, but he’s remembered in Scripture as the one who determined that, "He (referring to Jesus) must increase, but I must decrease." (John 3:30) God loves humility.

Could that be the reason why he offers so many tips on cultivating it? One of the first steps is assessing ourselves honestly. Humility isn’t the same as low self esteem. Being humble doesn’t mean you think you have nothing to offer; it means you know exactly what you have to offer and nothing more. “Don’t cherish exaggerated ideas of yourself or your importance, but try to have a sane estimate of your capabilities by the light of faith that God has given to you." (Rom. 12:3) And don’t take success too seriously. Scripture gives this warning: "When your . . . silver and gold increase, . . . your heart will become proud." (Deut. 8:13-14) So counteract this pride with reminders of the brevity of life, and the frailty of wealth. Ponder your success and count your money in a cemetery, and remember that neither will be buried with you. "People come into this world with nothing, and when they die they leave with nothing." (Eccles. 5:15) I saw a reminder of this some time ago at Oak Hill cemetery. Parked next to the entrance that day was a beautiful recreational boat with a For Sale sign – it made me wonder if the fisherman realized he couldn't take it with him.

Next, learn to celebrate the significance of others. "In humility consider others better than yourselves." (Phil. 2:3) Columnist Rick Reilly gave this advice to rookie professional athletes: "Stop thumping your chest. The line blocked, the quarterback threw you a perfect spiral while getting his head knocked off, and the good receiver blew the double coverage. Get over yourself." The truth is, every touchdown in life is a team effort. So applaud your teammates. It’s like the story of an elementary-age boy who came home from tryouts for his school play. "Mommy, Mommy," he announced, "I got a part. I've been chosen to sit in the audience and clap and cheer." When you have a chance to clap and cheer, do you take it? If you do, your head is starting to fit your hat size.

Next, don’t demand your own parking place. This was the instruction of Jesus to his followers: "Go sit in a seat that is not important. When the host comes to you, he may say, 'Friend, move up here to a more important place.' Then all the other guests will respect you." (Luke 14:10) Demanding respect is like chasing a butterfly. Chase it, and you'll never catch it; sit still, and it may light on your shoulder. The French philosopher, Blaise Pascal, asked "Do you wish people to speak well of you? Then never speak well of yourself." Maybe that's why the Bible says, "Don't praise yourself. Let someone else do it." (Prov. 27:2) And never announce your success before it occurs. Or as one of the kings of Israel said, "One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off." (1 Kings 20:11) Charles Spurgeon trained a lot of young ministers in his day. On one occasion a student stepped up to preach with great confidence, but had failed miserably in his delivery. He came down, humbled and meek. Spurgeon told him, "If you had gone up as you came down, you would have come down as you went up." If humility precedes an event, then confidence may very well follow.

Finally, speak humbly. “Let no arrogance come from your mouth." (1 Sam. 2:3) Don't be cocky. People aren't impressed with your opinions. Take a tip from Benjamin Franklin who said, “[I developed] the habit of expressing myself in terms of modest diffidence, never using when I advance anything that may possibly be disputed, the words certainly, undoubtedly, or any others that give the air of positiveness to an opinion; but rather I say, I conceive or I apprehend a thing to be so and so. . . . This habit I believe has been a great advantage to me.” And it would be a great advantage to us as well.

Live life at the foot of the cross. Paul said, "The cross of our Lord Jesus Christ is my only reason for bragging." (Gal. 6:14) Do you feel a need for affirmation? Does your self-esteem need attention? You don't need to drop names or show off. You need only to pause at the foot of the cross and be reminded of this: the maker of the stars would rather die for you than live without you. So if you need to brag, brag about that.

Grace,
Randy

Humility - Audio/Visual

No comments:

Post a Comment